Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mask Maker (2010)

Mask Maker (2010)

Directed by: Griff Furst
Screenplay by: Eric Miller and Griff Furst

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 94 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

Meet your maker.

[IMDb]




Comments: I'll always grab one or two shitty horror titles when I rent a few movies, so for this weekend, it was Griff Furst's Mask Maker. The reason I picked this one over the huge stock of low-rent horror titles at Family Video was that I almost bought the film at Walmart a few weeks ago. I do that from time to time with cheap horror movies, and it's almost always a terrible idea. With Mask Maker, however, it wouldn't have been completely worthless.

Mask Maker is probably the best low budget horror film I've seen in awhile. The story is clichéd and has been done A MILLION times, but I liked the actors and thought they had great chemistry together. I also thought the dialogue was realistic, and the opening act felt like how a boyfriend and girlfriend would speak and act with each other. Essentially, it just wasn't a steaming pile of shit that was only there to set up the horror aspect. Because of this, I was interested in the characters and said clichéd story. It's amazing how writing a somewhat competent script and hiring believable actors will cause the audience to become invested in the story rather that just watching for the tits and gore (which is what I was doing originally).

Now, as the movie goes on, it does get more and more predictable, the characters start acting more stupid so they can get killed for our viewing pleasure, and I gradually lost interest in the film. I was a little disappointed with that, but overall Mask Maker far exceeded my expectations. For the $1 I spent to rent it, I felt that I got my money's worth. If you like these sort of shitty horror movies, feel free to give this one a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment