Monday, July 27, 2009

The Shining (1980)

The Shining (1980)

Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick and Diane Johnson

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 146 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

A masterpiece of modern horror.

[IMDb]




Comments: I'm ashamed to admit that this is actually the first time that I watched The Shining. I'm even more ashamed that it took me multiple nights to finish this film. It wasn't that I didn't like the film, instead things just kept popping up or I got tired and went to bed. Thus, my perception may have been altered as I never got to experience the film in one sitting. I had a few issues with The Shining, and I can see why it wasn't originally received as it is remembered now. Perhaps if I watch it again, I may enjoy it more, but as of now I feel that a lot was unexplained and we never really got to see the true descent into madness. Instead, the Torrence family was OK, and then all of a sudden everyone was batshit crazy. Like I said, I may enjoy the film more at later date when I get to watch it all at once, but right now I feel that The Shining wouldn't be remembered as much if Stanley Kubrick's name wasn't attached to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment