Monday, December 12, 2011

Terri (2011)

Terri (2011)

Directed by: Azazel Jacobs
Screenplay by: Patrick Dewitt

Genre: Comedy | Drama
Running Time: 105 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

We've all been there.

[IMDb]




Comments: I first heard about Terri from the great Filmspotting podcast, where they gave the film a solid review. While I always make a mental note to catch a film that's well-reviewed on the show, I took special note of Terri as the film dealt with an overweight kid in high school. As a former high schooler with weight issues, I've always been drawn to drama films with heavy dudes in the lead roles; it's always great to see us big guys win one. Terri's a bit different than that, and despite being a bit inconsistent at times, it's a solid flick. The relationship between Terri and John C. Reilly's principal character is well-portrayed and excellently done; I really felt like a bond was formed there. Terri's relationship with his peers was a bit different. The friendship with Heather was nice, and despite me lampooning Jonah Hill's women in The Sitter, I found it reasonable given her circumstances that she was drawn to Terri. His friendship with Chad on the other hand felt odd, as the character generally annoyed me and I felt that he only existed to get Terri and Heather to the point they're at toward the end of the film. Otherwise, I enjoyed Terri. If anything, it's great to see John C. Reilly get back into films where he plays a real person. Not that there's anything wrong with Step Brothers though, 'cause that shit's hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment