Saturday, December 24, 2011

Score (1974)

Score (1974)

Directed by: Radley Metzger
Screenplay by: Jerry Douglas

Genre: Comedy | Drama
Running Time: 90 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Bring someone you want to excite...

[IMDb]




Comments: Deep Discount is running a sale on some "cult" Blu-ray titles, so I picked up a few, including films like Frankenhooker, The Dorm That Dripped Blood, and Score. I hadn't heard of Score before, but after doing some digging I found that it was a film about exploring... all of your sexuality. Look, I like the idea of doing whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, so I'm a big supporter of gay rights and being with whomever makes you happy. Also, I thought Brokeback Mountain was one of the best films of 2005 (you know you're comfortable with your sexuality when you go to see that movie in theaters alone), so a little "man love" in the movies never bothered me.

Score is about a married and very sexually liberated couple (Elvira and Jack) that try to pick up other couples for a little same sex action. In this case, they're after Eddie and Betsy (Lynn Lowry of George Romero's The Crazies), a sexually naive couple. The first hour is spent watching the seduction of Eddie and Betsy through games, drugs, and various other methods. It's really well done, and Radley Metzger's direction along with the film's score really drew me in. That and the wonderful Lynn Lowry. I mean this as nothing but a compliment when I say that she's very oddly beautiful. Lowry is awesome as the innocent Betsy - so much so that I just ordered the '70s Troma film Sugar Cookies that she stars in.

Anyway, once the seduction is complete, we get this twenty minute intercutting sex scene where Elvira and Betsy go at it upstairs and Jack and Eddie go at it downstairs (pun entirely intended). This is where it got a little uncomfortable for me, because while the ladies' interactions are fully softcore, the gentlemen's... were not. I was watching the Blu-ray on my laptop, so when it got to be too much for me to handle (is everything I'm writing a pun?), I just turned my attention to an NCIS rerun in the background. At least I had the awesome soundtrack to listen to.

Anyway, except for the scenes where I saw a little too much of Jack and Eddie, I really enjoyed Score. It really is an artistic and classy erotic film, something that is rarely achieved. Plus, this film can be completely defined by the term "the swinging seventies." Score certainly comes (pun!) recommended if you can handle the more... explicit nature of some of the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment