Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Another Earth (2011)

Another Earth (2011)

Directed by: Mike Cahill
Screenplay by: Brit Marling and Mike Cahill

Genre: Drama | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 92 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

[IMDb]






Comments: Another Earth was not at all what I expected, but in a good way. I really knew nothing about the film, as I'd only learned about it a few weeks ago after watching Melancholia. A review I read talked about recent films where a new planet was discovered and mentioned Another Earth; I was intrigued and ended up picking up the Blu-ray since it was on sale and I have serious collecting problems.

The film itself isn't nearly as "sci-fi" as I expected; there's not a lot of discussion on why or how Earth 2 appeared, and a lot of the effects that it would have on Earth are ignored (much like Melancholia). However, this didn't bother me as Another Earth is about so much more than science fiction; it's a sad look at how lives are affected after an inadvertent tragedy.

I've been lucky in that I've seen a number of great films over the last few days that have left me thinking about them after the fact. Another Earth is no different. It's a great little "what if?" film that takes a look at loss and how individuals deal with it. It's certainly worth a watch.

1 comment:

  1. Did you like the musical saw scene in 'Another Earth'?
    You can hear music from it on the composer's website http://www.scottmunsonmusic.com/news/music-in-film-another-earth-soundtrack/

    ReplyDelete