Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Directed by: David Fincher
Screenplay by: Steven Zaillian

Genre: Crime | Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 158 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

What is hidden in snow, comes forth in the thaw.

[IMDb]




Comments: As I was creating this post earlier, I thought back to 2008 when going in to see Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler. Due to the positive reviews, my love of Aronofsky's previous films, and the fact that I was interested in the subject matter, I knew I'd probably be watching my favorite film of the year. Similarly, I felt the same way with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo going in - this could be the best film of the year. I think David Fincher has made some of the best films of the last twenty years, and I really like dark shit. This was all set up too well. So for the first time in awhile, I was right.

- Early on in the film, however, I wasn't so sure. I saw the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo back in 2009. While I enjoyed the film, I wasn't blown away and really don't remember much of what happened (and I haven't read the book either). But memories of Niels Arden Oplev's film came rushing back today, as the first hour or so evoked constant reminders of the original film (outside of the sweet title sequence featuring Karen O belting out "The Immigrant Song"). Luckily, Fincher's version soon came into its own and I became 100% invested in what was occurring onscreen (likely because my mind is mush, and I can't remember the second half of the 2009 version).

- The acting was solid all around, but I was particularly drawn to Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander. I was a fan of Noomi Rapace as well (who was great in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows; I forgot to mention her on Monday), but Mara is utterly compelling in the role.

- My last thought on the film for the evening is that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' score for the film was a bit disappointing. It seemed fairly standard compared to the great score for The Social Network. It could be that I was just too engrossed in the film, so I may have a differing opinion on repeat viewings.

- I loved every minute of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Sure, I was reminded of the original early on, but soon the film took on a life of its own. As the credits rolled, I just wanted to stick around and follow the characters for a bit longer. If that's not the sign of a good film, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment