Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Office - Season Two (2005-2006)

The Office (2005-????)

Created by: Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant
Developed by: Greg Daniels

Season: Two (2005-2006)
Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance
Number of Episodes: 22
Episode Running Time: 30 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

Reams of laughs.

[IMDb]



Comments: The Office had a strong second season, and I became more engrossed in the show (as I predicted I would). Sure, there's still some jokes here and there ported over from the original, and every once in a while Michael says or does something exactly like David Brent making me wish I was watching the original instead, but overall I must say that I'm a fan of the Americanized Office.

One of the things I do like is how the show humanizes Michael Scott earlier on. In the original Office, Ricky Gervais is mostly an ass and comic relief until the end of the show, when he (spoiler alert!) begs for his job, and then when he tells Finch (the UK equivalent of Todd Packer) to go fuck himself (end spoilers). That approach works for that show, but with 20+ episodes a season, Steve Carell really needed to be endeared to the American audience so they could truly care about the character, which Greg Daniels did. And I like that, because he's still a buffoon, but you realize there's a decent guy under the facade.

Obviously, my favorite part was the whole Pam-Jim romance, but I wish they had gotten some more screen time. As funny as parts of the show are (when Jim explains that he filled Dwight’s headset with nickels until Dwight became used to the weight, then removed them all so he hit himself in the head, I died laughing), the best parts are always the looks and glances the two give each other. I loved that in the original as well, as Tim and Dawn would always glance at each other or casually touch each other. It was wonderful.

Anyway, I'm on to Season Three. I just ordered Season Five on Amazon so I have quite a few more episodes to go. I'm debating on whether I should throw down the cash to get Season Six as well so I can watch the new episodes this fall, but as I said before I hate paying that much for DVDs (especially since I'm definitely buying Season Three of Chuck -- less that two weeks now). Also, that season got very mixed reviews too. I guess it will depend on how I feel after finishing up Season Five. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment