Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Office - Season Four (2007-2008)

The Office (2005-????)

Created by: Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant
Developed by: Greg Daniels

Season: Four (2007-2008)
Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance
Number of Episodes: 14
Episode Running Time: 30 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

Reams of laughs.

[IMDb]



Comments: Well, I waited too long to order Season Five of The Office, so now I have to wait until at least Monday (gah!) to dive into the next chapter. I really enjoyed the fourth season of the show, and I think this may be the strongest season yet. This is due to two factors: less episodes and all of that wonderful Jim and Pam interaction.

While sometimes I wish British shows ran longer than six episodes a season, that format worked extremely well for the original Office. On the other side of things, US shows can run for too many episodes if they're popular, which I think hurt the second and third seasons of The Office to a degree. Each episode certainly had its merits, but often a tighter arc tends to work better. Anyway, Season 4 only had 14 episodes (due to the strike, although five of those were hour-long episodes), and the season felt a lot... smoother. But Seasons Five and Six each have 25+ episodes, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

And then Season Four was the one where Jim and Pam finally started dating. Even if they didn't date, I loved that they were given more screentime, because the two have such a great chemistry together (and like the original, they are the backbone of the series). I guess it would risk over-exposing the two, but I can never have enough of Jim standing at the desk talking to Pam. My two favorite moments of this season revolved around those two. The first was Jim talking with Dwight in the stairwell when Dwight's heartbroken, and then going and kissing Pam when he's thought about how he left because of her before (that was one of the great and defining moments of the show), and then the banter the two had about Jim proposing followed by Jim confessing to the camera that he bought the ring for her the week after they started dating. It was a fucking great moment.

So now I will wait. Season Five will be here next week and Season Six the week after (I preordered it yesterday with the third season of Chuck, I couldn't help it). Until then, I think I will revisit an old fave...

No comments:

Post a Comment