Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Lincoln (2012)

Lincoln (2012)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Screenplay by: Tony Kushner

Genre: Biography | Drama | History | War
Running Time: 150 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater

[IMDb]






Comments: To be honest, just from watching the trailer and previews, Lincoln didn't do much for me. I knew it would likely be a good film and that I would really appreciate the performances, but nothing about the movie screamed "get to the theater now, you don't want to miss this!" However, my friend wanted to go see Lincoln on Thanksgiving Eve, so I wasn't going to turn the opportunity down. In the end, I'm glad I went. Lincoln, if a bit long, delivers on just about all fronts. It paints the man as human and likeable, and also interjects some surprisingly well-done humor into the mix. I imagine that this film will be nominated for a number of awards, but I don't think anyone is as deserving as Daniel Day-Lewis - he completely steals the show (as expected). It's also Steven Spielberg's best film in years, though I haven't seen either The Adventures of Tintin (which I actually have on order) or War Horse (no desire to see that at all), but I don't think either would top this film. If you're interested in history and don't mind a two-and-a-half hour film with a lot of talking, then I strongly recommend Lincoln. At least then you'll have a understanding of what everyone's talking about come awards season.

No comments:

Post a Comment