Monday, November 12, 2012

Flight (2012)

Flight (2012)

Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Screenplay by: John Gatins

Genre: Drama
Running Time: 138 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

[IMDb]






Comments: I wasn't planning on doing much today, given that I'm off for Veteran's Day, but at the last moment I decided to go catch Flight - the third film I've seen in theaters in the last five days - as it's one that really had me intrigued.

- Despite being somewhat long during the second act, I found Flight to be a compelling character study, mainly due to the compelling acting of Denzel Washington. He's great at portraying the anti-hero, and comes through again here. The film itself hits familiar notes throughout (except for one nice John Goodman appearance toward the end), as pretty much everything I expected to happen did in fact happen. But Washington throws Flight on his back and once again carries it to the finish.

- I can't short-change the fantastic plane crash sequence, though. Even though you knew mostly everyone was going to survive, the tension Robert Zemeckis created was amazing. It's almost worth seeing the movie for that aspect alone. Oh, and Nadine Velazquez in the opening scene, all nekkid and stuff. Ay, Mami.

- It's also nice to see Zemeckis back directing live action films, with Flight being his first since 2000's Cast Away (a personal favorite). He's directed a number of movies I've adored over the years, so here's to some more in the future.

- Despite a couple of issues with the relatively by-the-numbers script, I really enjoyed Flight. It's one that won't be an award winner, but it will surely grip and enthrall its audience. After worrying about the noise level in my theater during the trailers, not much was heard once Flight began. That's almost always the sign of a solid movie, and fortunately, this one's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment