Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Directed by: Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, and Lana Wachowski
Screenplay by: Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, and Lana Wachowski

Genre: Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 172 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

Everything is connected.

[IMDb]




Comments: One of the things I've come to enjoy is using subtitles while watching movies. I feel that I catch so much more by reading everything that's going on. To be honest, if I didn't live in an apartment, I probably would just crank the sucker up so I could hear everything. But since I'm a considerate neighbor, subtitles have become the way to go. And boy, I would have loved to have subtitles for Cloud Atlas.

Cloud Atlas is a pretty fascinating film. You'd think dividing six loosely connected stories over the course of three hours could become a colossal clusterfuck, but the film is constructed rather wonderfully. While this unfortunately doesn't make it a masterpiece, Cloud Atlas is a great piece of filmmaking that held my attention during its long runtime (I did get a tad restless at times). My main complaint was not being able to understand what characters were saying at times. Many characters during the various time periods speak in heavy accents (this is most noticeable during the final storyline where borderline gibberish is spoken), and I would have given anything to hit the subtitle button on my remote to fully understand the movie. As it stands, I guess I'll have to wait until the Blu-ray is released to watch in the comfort of my own apartment.

There's a nice assortment of actors in Cloud Atlas, most notably Tom Hanks and Halle Berry, but I'd be remiss not to mention Jim Broadbent. Broadbent owns this movie. Anytime he's onscreen, Cloud Atlas just springs to life.

Cloud Atlas is the type of the film that I feel will become more rewarding with multiple viewings (with the subtitles on). While I'm not super eager to jump back into this three-hour extravaganza, I can only imagine my appreciation for the film will grow. Definitely check it out if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment