Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lake Mungo (2008)

Lake Mungo (2008)

Directed by: Joel Anderson
Screenplay by: Joel Anderson

Genre: Drama | Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 87 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: FEARnet On Demand

If you've never seen a ghost... look closer.

[IMDb]




Comments: I had read a few good things about Lake Mungo, one of the installments from the fourth Films to Die For series. Those all tend to be hit-or-miss (though the only other film from the fourth series I've seen, Zombies of Mass Destruction, was rather good), but Lake Mungo had its share of solid reviews online, so I always kept my eye out for it, though I never got around to picking it up. Luckily, I noticed the film was listed on FEARnet's On Demand listings (in HD no less, and despite the fact that I don't even get the channel), so I decided to give 'er a shot today.

Lake Mungo was waaaayyy different than what I was expecting. I knew the film was a ghost story, and that was all, so I expected your typical B-grade horror flick. What I got was a cross between Paranormal Activity and a Friday night episode of Dateline. And I'm not complaining, as the film was an interesting and well-made "mockumentary." It certainly would've helped to know this going in, mainly because I wasn't into the film for the first twenty minutes or so. However, I was soon hooked and all was well.

While Lake Mungo's not great, it's certainly worth a watch - especially for horror fans looking for something a bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment