Sunday, March 11, 2012

Game of Thrones - Season One (2011)

Game of Thrones (2011-????)

Created by: David Benioff and D. B. Weiss

Season: One (2011)
Genre: Adventure | Drama | Fantasy
Number of Episodes: 10
Episode Running Time: 60 Minutes
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Winter is coming.

[IMDb]




Comments: I really didn't care much about Game of Thrones until a few weeks ago, when all of a sudden I decided I was going to buy the first season on release day and dive right in. I have no clue why I did this, or how my interest was suddenly cultivated, but I'm glad I did/it was. Game of Thrones rules.

- I'll get this out of the way first: I love me some Emilia Clarke (who plays Daenerys Targaryen). She's just... yeah.

- All of the acting was great, but Peter Dinklage stole the show in whatever scene he was in. It's hard for actors of a "small stature" to be taken seriously at times, but Dinklage commands respect every time he's onscreen.

- The showrunners did a great job in casting Prince Joffrey. I haven't hated a TV character like him since Penny Johnson Jerald in the early years of 24.

- The plot was a little too fantasy driven at times for my taste - especially later on - but only because the first several episodes are so grounded in reality (sans the white walkers). By the end, there's zombies and dragons and black magic (all of which are fucking awesome, don't get me wrong), but they all feel out of place from what occurred over the majority of the first season.

- I know most people were happy with how the first season followed the book, but it made for a generally lackluster finale (particularly for someone who hasn't read the books). I felt like the show was building up to this gigantic war, but then the season just kind of ends (at least it ended on a good note, with a healthy dose of Emilia Clarke nudity).

- Game of Thrones is awesome. I'm saddened that I don't have HBO to watch the Season Two premiere in three weeks, and I'm even sadder thinking I'll have to wait until next March (?) for the show to be released on Blu-ray. I know there's 'alternative methods,' but fuck that. Maybe I'll buy the episodes on Amazon...

No comments:

Post a Comment