Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hitch-Hike (1977)

Hitch-Hike (1977)

Directed by: Pasquale Festa Campanile
Screenplay by: Ottavio Jemma, Aldo Crudo, and Pasquale Festa
  Campanile

Genre: Crime | Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 104 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned DVD

[IMDb]





Comments: I think I would've liked Hitch-Hike a lot more had it not been so mean spirited. That sounds weird coming from me as I generally like some nasty over-the-top shit. However, the way this film was playing out, I just expected something a little different than what I got. Franco Nero and Corinne Cléry star as a husband and wife returning from a camping/hunting trip. Nero plays an alcoholic asshole, who has little to no redeeming factors. Along comes David Hess (Mr. Krug Stillo himself), a dangerous bank robber on the run who takes the couple hostage, using them to escape to Mexico.

The way I expected the film to play out was for Nero to have a revelation and realize the error of his ways. There's this great scene toward the end of the film where Hess is raping Cléry (that's not the great part), and Nero, who is tied up, has this distraught yet angry look on his face; it's great. You just feel that he is going to avenge his wife and be the hero. Yet, as the film goes on, Nero just becomes more and more of an asshole. This, in turn, ends up being the whole point of the film, which sort of bummed me out.

However, the real star of Hitch-Hike is David Hess. He's the fucking man and is great in this film. Hess has been pretty damn funny in every interview I've watched; I was disappointed when I heard he passed away last year. I've only seen three of his films, and he's essentially the same character in all of them (this, The Last House on the Left, and House on the Edge of the Park), but I'll be damned if he wasn't the best thing about all of them. Rest in peace you glorious bastard.

Also Known As: Autostop Rosso Sangue

No comments:

Post a Comment