Saturday, May 8, 2010

Triangle (2009)

Triangle (2009)

Directed by: Christopher Smith
Screenplay by: Christopher Smith

Genre: Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 99 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Fear comes in waves.

[IMDb]




Comments: I was a big fan of Christopher Smith's last film, Severance, so I was immediately interested when I found out he had a new movie out on DVD. I put off watching Triangle for a few weeks after I bought it (for no real reason), but after viewing it tonight I could kick myself for not watching it sooner. At first glance, Triangle looks like a slasher film, but it's much more of a time-twisting thriller, where the characters are stuck in a never-ending "loop." Once the loop began in the film, I almost dismissed it outright simply because the film reminded me very much of Nacho Vigalondo's excellent Timecrimes. There are several similarities at first (time-travel loop, masked character that... well, I don't want to spoil anything), and I was a bit put off. But not long after does Triangle take on a life of its own. I haven't been this impressed with a film in a long, long time. While time-travel films always seem to rack my brain because of all of the mind-boggling implications, Smith seems to have created a script with little plot holes, and where everything connects. I'm sure I'll notice things on future viewings (or when reading about the film online), but for now I'm in awe of the film. This is one of the best of 2009, and comes highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment