Saturday, May 1, 2010

Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)

Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)

Directed by: Werner Herzog
Screenplay by: Werner Herzog

Genre: Adventure | Biography | Drama | History
Running Time: 93 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Viewed: Owned DVD

On this river, God never finished his creation.

[IMDb]




Comments: The first thing I noticed about Aguirre: The Wrath of God was that it was shot in 1.33:1 (full screen), which is a shame considering the awesome location and visuals. The second thing I noticed was how much Aguirre reminded me of Apocalypse Now, so it was no surprise to me when I read afterward that Werner Herzog's film was a big influence on Francis Ford Coppola. Another thing that I noticed was how strange it was seeing a bunch of German actors playing Spanish explorers who are speaking German. Granted, I know American cinema does this all the time, but it's weird when it's two foreign countries doing this. Beyond that, Aguirre is a great film. There's not much depth to many of the characters outside of Aguirre, but that all works into the whole minimalist style that Herzog was going for. Oh, and the last thing I noticed was that it would have sucked to make this film.

Also Known As: Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

No comments:

Post a Comment