Thursday, May 6, 2010

The House of the Devil (2009)

The House of the Devil (2009)

Directed by: Ti West
Screenplay by: Ti West

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 95 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Talk on the phone. Finish your homework. Watch TV. DIE!

[IMDb]




Comments: The House of the Devil had a lot of buzz surrounding its release. However, once released on DVD, I read several negative reviews that cited pacing issues and a lack of anything happening throughout most of the film. The reviews didn't phase me though, and I just waited until the price dropped some to pick up this bad boy. Upon viewing the film, I immediately noticed The House of the Devil's excellent style; everything about this movie screams '80s. It's really impressive, especially since this is Ti West's first film (I expect great things from him in the future). Sure, I grew a bit restless at times, as there's not much in terms of normal horror proceedings (deaths, screaming, running away) that happens in the first 75 minutes. But I appreciate what West was creating - knowing that these lulls were simply part of a grander scheme actually made me enjoy the film more. And West captured a very suspenseful atmosphere that's hard to create these days, especially since he used mostly the creeks and groans of an old house. Definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment