Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Random Thoughts: Recapping My TV Season

Now that the 2009-2010 television season has mostly come to an end, I figured I'd share my thoughts on the seasons that were (and bid farewell to two shows I've watched for a long time).

- 24: I've probably seen more episodes of 24 than any other hour-long show (192, to be exact), so it's sad to see this one go. I felt it was a good time for the show to end, as there's not much more that could be done with this concept (although I am eagerly looking forward to the feature film). I loved 24 for the first three seasons, but soon after I grew a bit tired of the same plot twists and turns. I was rejuvenated after the show took a year off (due to the writer's strike), and Season 7 was the best in years. This final season started off horribly (and may have been the reason the show was canceled), but the last half of the season was excellent and was a wonderful way to send the show out. I'd give it a solid 3.5/5.

- Archer: I had high hopes for this show once I learned it was from the creators of the great Frisky Dingo. Luckily, my every expectation was met. Archer was hysterically funny and a joy to watch every week. I can't wait to watch the episodes again on DVD. 5/5.

- House: Other than Lost, this is the only show I've watched every episode of from its inception on television. Over the years, I occasionally grew tired of the same things that happen with every medical mystery: the team argues, diagnose, then the patient starts bleeding out of an orifice/has a seizure, they diagnose again, and then the patient goes into cardiac arrest, then House has an epiphany and solves the case. But the characters are almost always interesting and what keep me coming back again and again. This season was a bit bland, but was always good for an hour of escapism each week. It's nice to see House and Cuddy finally make a go of things, but my level of emotional involvement in the storyline has dropped because I've waited so long for it to happen. 3.5/5

- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Granted, this season ended in December last year, but it's still part of this TV season. Season 5 of It's Always Sunny was just as hysterical as the previous ones (but not as great as it was originally). Sunny reminds be a bit of South Park in the way that there's a few middle-of-the-road episodes for every truly hilarious episode. But luckily for Sunny, middle-of-the-road beats the pants off of just about everything else on television. 5/5

- Justified: Technically, the season isn't over yet, as there's still two more episodes to air. But Justified has been a fun show to watch. The amount of "swagger" that Timothy Olyphant brings to the show is awesome (considering he's almost always wooden as hell in other roles), and makes me wish I was half as bad ass as Raylan Givens. 4/5

- Lost: I wrote a few thoughts about Lost the other day (the post directly below this one), so I think I expressed my feelings fairly well. I did enjoy this season, even though it was completely lackluster compared to the others. Instead of focusing so much on the Temple, Jacob, and The Man in Black, this season should have been spent answering all (or most) of the questions brought up to be "so important" over the years. Still, the finale was moving if completely unsatisfying. 3.5/5

- Spartacus: Blood and Sand: The absolute biggest surprise of the year, I only watched Spartacus originally because it was supposed to be loaded with sex and violence. And it was. But over the course of the 13 episodes, I became completely addicted to the show. Despite the bad dialogue and horrid CGI/sets, I couldn't wait until the following episode to see what was going to transpire (usually someone getting their comeuppance). Plus there was a good chance that you were going to see multiple women completely naked. It's a shame star Andy Whitfield has non-Hodgkin lymphoma, as the second season has been put on hold. Luckily, the producers have decided to make a 6 episode prequel with John Hannah and Lucy Lawless. More Xena boobs! 4.5/5

Shows that I'm currently in the midst of or will be airing in the summer:

- Friday Night Lights: I downloaded the first four or five shows when FNL first aired on DirecTV, but I soon forgot to keep downloading episodes (it's hard to remember shit when a DVR doesn't do it for you!). The episodes they've shown so far I've already seen, so I'm waiting to get into the new ones. The season's been very good so far, with down-to-earth storylines and heartfelt characters (which has not always been the case).

- Happy Town: I haven't actually watched this show yet. I have the three episodes that aired on my DVR, but it was taken off for a few weeks due to low ratings. I think the rest will be aired, but I'm not sure if I'm going to watch the show.

-Louie: I loved Louis C.K.'s Lucky Louie on HBO, so I have high hopes for this show. The TV spot alone where Ricky Gervais bounces Louie's man-boob is hysterical. Premieres at the end of June.

- Mythbusters: Good as always. Plus Kari has huge post-pregnancy boobs.

- Party Down: A fun show, but this one will most likely be the last. Still, an entertaining way to kill a half of an hour.

- South Park: Hasn't been all that great so far. I missed "201" because my DVR didn't record it. Probably had to do with the complete censoring of the episode. The other episodes were pretty funny, but other than "200" there hasn't been any great episodes so far. The second half of the season will be aired in the fall.

Well, this went on a bit longer than expected, but I think I got everything. I'm kind of mad I didn't watch Season 5 of Rescue Me last year (I was a bit burnt out on the show, Season 4 was very lackluster) because I really want to watch Season 6 this summer. Maybe I'll grab the DVD next Tuesday and fly through the episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment