Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sweet Karma (2009)

Sweet Karma (2009)

Directed by: Andrew Thomas Hunt
Screenplay by: James Fler and Andrew Thomas Hunt

Genre: Crime | Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 85 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

[IMDb]






Comments: Oh, the stupid shit I buy when wandering around Walmart at 11:30 at night. Actually, I knew Walmart had cut some prices on some of the newer horror films they carry, and I was hoping to score Rammbock: Berlin Undead. Of course, they didn't have that, but then I saw Sweet Karma for $7.50 and a giant wave of "Oh, what the hell!" washed over me. That feeling happens too often.

- The picture quality on this DVD is awful. The film is gritty as hell (I'm sure that was intended), but it's so bad that I had a hard time seeing what was going on during the night scenes (which is like 90% of the movie). It's a little annoying.

- The story is about a woman (named Karma, GET IT?!), who is hell bent on avenging her sister's death. The sister took a "cleaning" job in Canada to help support Karma financially (who lives in Russia) only to find out she was sold to be a drug-addled hooker (sounds like a good time to me, at least). Anyway, she died, and now Karma is out for blood. The best part about all of this is Karma and her sister are supposed to be poor, yet the actress that plays Karma (Shera Bechard) has quite the chest on her, if you catch my drift.

- Speaking of Bechard, I find it funny that her character is mute, simply because she's never been in a film before and is a former Playboy model. I wonder if the decision for Karma not to speak was made before or after Bechard was cast...

- This movie could also be called They Call Her Fivehead. See for yourself.

- Okay, I'm an asshole. Trust me though, I wouldn't be kicking her out of bed.

- Sweet Karma wasn't all that bad. It's not exactly good either, but I enjoy this kind of shit, and Sweet Karma is certainly "that kind of shit." For the most part, it's entertaining, and there's some decent sleaze throughout. It's not worth $7.50, but it may be worth a watch when it's available on Netflix Watch Instantly if you like this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment