Saturday, September 17, 2011

Straw Dogs (2011)

Straw Dogs (2011)

Directed by: Rod Lurie
Screenplay by: Rod Lurie

Genre: Thriller
Running Time: 110 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

Everyone has a breaking point.

[IMDb]




Comments: I know this is weird to say about a film full of rape and violence, but Straw Dogs is a fun film. (Granted, this is coming from me, so of course it's a fucking fun movie!)

- It's been years since I've seen the original, but as best as I can recall the plot is fairly similar to Sam Peckinpah's classic. Sure, there's some subtle changes here and there, but overall nothing major jumped out at me (but I could definitely be wrong about that, it's been awhile).

- Kate Bosworth is FUCKING HOT in this movie. Those damn little outfits they put her in when she goes jogging are ridiculous. I was disappointed (as I assume many men familiar with the original were) that she didn't replicate Susan George's famed topless scene, but even the teasing used during that scene was amazingly sexy. I'm not sure why she didn't go topless, because it's not like she's shy (that's completely NSFW, by the way).

- Another film, another Walton Goggins FTW. Granted, he's in Straw Dogs for a total of about four seconds, but I have to show the man some love.

- Actually, my favorite performance was James Woods. He's so gloriously over-the-top that it takes what could be a very serious movie and just makes it fun for exploitation fans like myself. I really feel like the ideal ending for Straw Dogs would be to have Woods massacre everyone and then bathe nude in their blood as the credits rolled. But that's just me.

- Of the eight films I've watched so far in September, five have been at the theater. I usually go once every week or two, but I've been on a roll this month. I have no point to make here, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

- Did I mention that Kate Bosworth was sexy as shit?

- Straw Dogs is a solid, fun, and worthwhile remake. Rod Lurie is surely no Sam Peckinpah, and the film doesn't certainly doesn't compare to the original, but this outing exceeded just about every expectation I had for it. And really, I couldn't have asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment