Monday, September 12, 2011

Contagion (2011)

Contagion (2011)

Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Screenplay by: Scott Z. Burns

Genre: Drama | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 105 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater

Nothing spreads like fear.

[IMDb]




Comments: I'll be traveling to my hometown this weekend to visit some friends and pick up my new laptop (which I dare not ship to my current apartment, where it would just sit outside my door waiting to be taken by my heathen neighbors). If I had my way, I'd also be seeing Warrior (which isn't being shown at my theater here), Drive, and Straw Dogs. I don't think I'll be seeing all three, but taking in two wouldn't be a bad way to spend my time. On top of that, I also really wanted to see Contagion, so I figured why not spend the evening with Steven Soderbergh and his immense cast.

- I really have to give credit to Soderbergh and writer Scott Burns. There's about four thousand characters in this film, and early on, I thought there would be no way I'd become invested in any of them. But despite a brisk pace, I really found myself immersed in Contagion and the vast array of talent on the screen. I was really surprised.

- The only character I didn't enjoy was Jude Law's. I like the actor fine, but his character had no real arc, and was only here to show that some people are insufferable bastards that will exploit individuals no matter what the circumstances. I found myself trying to hurry the scene along when he was onscreen to get back to one of the other, more interesting characters.

- I'm also glad there was no cop-out horror-esque ending. Once we reached a natural resolution to the film in the final few minutes, I just had this sense we were in for a final in-your-face-crazy-twist-now-roll-the-credits-type deal. There wasn't, thankfully.

- Contagion covers the full spectrum of an outbreak, and not just a set of characters during a specified period of time. Normally, I'd take the latter, but the aforementioned script was tight enough that it really worked for me. Also, that's what she said.

- I really enjoyed the film. Contagion surprised me with its scope, along with the ability to keep so many characters interesting to the audience. It's certainly worth catching. (GET IT!? I made a funny!)

No comments:

Post a Comment