Thursday, January 21, 2010

Random Thoughts: The TV I'm Currently Watching

So I just popped in the first disc of Season 1 of 24, as watching the four hour, two night premiere has gotten me in the mood for the show. The premieres of a few shows this month has reminded me that I wanted to post some random ramblings for awhile now and make The Musical Whorehouse more "bloggish."

So anyway, 24 premiered on Sunday and Monday. It was an alright start for such a long-running show. Season 7 was the best for the show in four years (since Season 3); perhaps it was the fact that the show had an extra year off due to the writer's strike. So far, Season 8 has showed glimpses of promise; everything that has to do with Jack is energizing and interesting. As always, there's numerous side stories to fill time. It will take a few episodes to see if any of these pan out. The biggest story seems to be that of Battlestar Galactica vet Katee Sackhoff and her "mysterious" past. It's a very old and formulaic plot device, so we'll have to see where (if anywhere) it leads.

There were only two main issues I had (and surprisingly neither one was the casting of Freddie Prinze Jr.). One was how ungodly annoying Chloe was. She's generally a hit or miss character but always pulls through for Jack so the audience tends to love her. But she's acting like a petulant child this season and it's annoying as hell (but at least fucking Janeane Garofalo isn't on the show anymore). The second is Renee's character this season. I don't mind her being a vengeful bad ass, but the story used to bring her in was beyond weak. I haven't seen Season 7 since last year, but she was supposed to be as "by-the-book" as they come (well, at least until the end of the season). Now she's brought in because she was undercover with the Russians many years ago. I'm sorry, you aren't clean as a whistle when you go undercover with the Russians. And she tried to kill herself after leaving the FBI? Come on.

I just realized that Gustavo Santaolalla, who composed the amazing score for the film Babel, uses part of that score for the pilot episode of 24. Cool.

Two shows that are premiering in the coming weeks that I am looking forward too are Spartacus: Blood and Sand and the final season of Lost. I've never been a die-hard Lost fanatic, but I've watched it since day one and have always come back for more. It's a solid show and hopefully the final season is worth the wait. I'm not expecting much from Spartacus other than gratuitous nudity and violence, but what else do you need? It seems as though Starz is trying to out-True Blood HBO, so we'll see how this goes.

The only other shows currently recording on my DVR are House, which has been solid but nothing special this season, and Archer, which is the new cartoon from the guys who made Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. Frisky Dingo is probably my all-time favorite cartoon, and one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. Only episodes of South Park and Family Guy have made me laugh so hard, but both shows are very inconsistent (it didn't hurt that Dingo has only 25 episodes in total). I only watched one episode of Archer of the two that aired the night it premiered so far; it was funny but can most certainly improve. Oh, and I watch The Real World. Yeah.

So as I shut off the first season of 24 to watch my beloved Penguins take on the fucking Capitals, I must say I enjoyed writing some random shit. Maybe I'll continue, maybe I won't. If I keep watching Season 1 of 24, I'll throw it up for a review, but I'm not sure if I'll watch the rest of the season. I just needed a fix now. Go Pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment