Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Big Fan (2009)

Big Fan (2009)

Directed by: Robert D. Siegel
Screenplay by: Robert D. Siegel

Genre: Comedy | Drama
Running Time: 86 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

[IMDb]






Comments: I've been rather excited to watch Big Fan for awhile now; writer/director Robert Siegel also wrote the script for my favorite film of 2008, The Wrestler, and I've always been a fan of Patton Oswalt. My interest was piqued when I learned that the film was more of a dramatic comedy, and Oswalt certainly didn't let me down in his first serious role. Actually, his performace was the best thing about Big Fan. I had a few issues with the script, but nothing that ruined my viewing experience. First, Siegel couldn't seem to decide whether he wanted to make a dark comedy or a serious dramatic film. The last act of the film had a very serious tone, and then it suddenly shifted back to something very darkly comedic. It was a bit odd and it definitely took me out of the moment. Secondly, there are several small yet obvious errors throughout the film. I have no idea how these were not caught originally, and I would be mildly embarrassed if I was Robert Siegel. Patton's favorite player in the film (and the one that beats his ass) is very obviously described as a linebacker during the film. Yet, at least twice when Patton's reading about him in the paper he's referred to as the quarterback. Also, Michael Rappaport calls Patton's character the wrong name at the end of the film. Patton goes "undercover" at an Eagles bar and uses a fake name when speaking with Rappaport, but Rappaport calls Patton "Paul," which is his regular name that he never stated. The errors are small, but annoy the piss out of me. Still, Big Fan is a solid film and Patton Oswalt gives a wonderful performance. Definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment