Friday, January 15, 2010

Brüno (2009)

Brüno (2009)

Directed by: Larry Charles
Screenplay by: Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Dan Mazer, and
  Jeff Schaffer

Genre: Comedy
Running Time: 83 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Borat was so 2006.

[IMDb]



Comments: Original review again, because I'm lazy: I think it's pretty difficult to offend me. That's because I really don't give a shit about most things. Thus, when purchasing my ticket for Brüno this afternoon and the theater manager was discussing this film with another friend and they both agreed it was one of the worst movies they've ever seen, I got excited. I loved Borat, and it was one of my favorite movies of 2006. Unfortunately, Brüno doesn't quite live up to the hilariousness that was Borat, but it is pretty damn funny. My only real complaints with Brüno was the fact that many more scenes felt staged, which decreases the effect of some of the scenes. The story is also much less cohesive, and there's really no point or end-goal to the script (technically, Brüno wants to become a big star in America, but we never see that goal achieved except for a music video at the end). The first half of the film is a bit weak, with only some funny parts. The film really takes off in the second half, when Brüno decides to become straight to become a celebrity. This includes going hunting and camping (the bear ate all my clothes, except for these condoms!), taking self defense lessons (about protecting yourself from a nude man with two dildos), as well as a swingers' party (look into my eyes!). Sacha Baron Cohen is a pretty funny guy, so I hope to see him make some more films like this. I appreciate comedians who aren't afraid to offend people. I'd love to see a Borat sequel, but I believe Cohen said it would be too difficult since everyone knows who he is. Even though Brüno doesn't live up to Borat's standards, it's still a damn funny movie, and worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment