Saturday, January 2, 2010

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

Directed by: Marc Webb
Screenplay by: Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber

Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance
Running Time: 95 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned DVD

Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love. Girl doesn't.

[IMDb]




Comments: Looking at the film at a glance, it has all the hallmarks of a traditional romantic comedy. But (500) Days of Summer is so much more than that. I can't recall the last time I've been so involved in a film; every time Tom was happy, I was as well (I too had a huge smile on my face when Joseph Gordon-Levitt participates in the musical number after he first sleeps with Summer). Consequently, most of the second half of the film my stomach was in knots and I felt like I was being hit with a hammer. There's comedy throughout the film, and there is hope in parts, but (500) Days of Summer is generally a sad and depressing film. Maybe viewing the film later I will reflect on the experience with less attachment, but currently (500) Days of Summer is going to stick with me for awhile. And I would totally buy a greeting card that said: "Roses are red, violets are blue... fuck you, whore."

No comments:

Post a Comment