Friday, January 1, 2010

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Directed by: Oren Peli
Screenplay by: Oren Peli

Genre: Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 86 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Don't see it alone.

[IMDb]




Comments: Now that I was able to fully focus on Paranormal Activity, I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as before. Last time I saw it in a crowded theater, and was so ungodly annoyed at the people around me that it took me completely out of the film (my original review is in October 2009, where I rated it at 3.5 out of 5). I still enjoyed it, and I admired what Oren Peli was trying to do. Watching it again, I can now fully review the film. The first half is done fairly well, as certain scenes still gave me the creeps. The actors portrayed their characters rather realistically, which I enjoyed. However, the "scares" in the second half are a bit more outlandish and are not nearly as effective, at least on someone like me. Micah becomes more of an asshole, but it seems apparent that he does this because the script says he has to do something to make the demon pissed. And the multiple endings always annoys me as well, as I wish they would have included the original cut before Paramount or Steven Spielberg got a hold of it. That being said (that's a Curb Your Enthusiasm reference there), Paranormal Activity is still a solid film. I always applaud indie horror efforts (unless they are completely horrible or unoriginal, as many can be) and I'm glad that the movie became as popular as it has. I just wish I could see Oren Peli's original vision, as it would make me appreciate the film more.

No comments:

Post a Comment