Friday, November 6, 2009

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Screenplay by: Thornton Wilder, Sally Benson, and Alma Reville

Genre: Crime | Film-Noir | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 108 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG
Viewed: Owned DVD

A blast of dramatic dynamite exploded right before your eyes!

[IMDb]




Comments: The other night, after finishing the abysmal Black Devil Doll, I wanted to get back into my Hitchcock collection. I initially was going to watch Rear Window, however when reading the description for Saboteur I decided to watch that instead. But, because it was late, I was tired, and I'm generally an idiot, I put the wrong disc in. About twenty minutes into Shadow of a Doubt I realized that this was not Saboteur. I really wasn't interested in watching that film at the time, but I decided to go with it since I was already a good bit in. After finishing it up tonight, I must say I truly enjoyed the film. The story's very well done, and the only issues I had were the way some of the characters acted and spoke (which is because the film is a product of the 1940s, not because of any deficiencies in the script), and the rather abrupt yet satisfying ending. Everything else is remarkably well done. I'm coming to love Hitchcock more and more not only because he made such great films, but because the way he directed them was so ahead of his time. The camerawork and editing is always top-notch. Score another one for the Master of Suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment