Monday, November 2, 2009

1408 (2007)

1408 (2007)

Directed by: Mikael Håfström
Screenplay by: Matt Greenberg, Scott Alexander, and Larry
  Karaszewski

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 104 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned DVD

No one lasts more than an hour.

[IMDb]



Comments: Firstly, I have the two disc special edition of 1408 which contains the longer director's cut. However, it only dawned on me twenty minutes into the film that it never gave me the option to select either the director's cut or the theatrical cut, so I paused the film only to realize that the director's cut was on the second disc. I didn't feel like starting over, so I stuck with the theatrical cut. I compared both endings afterward, and each have their merits and can be viewed depending on whether you want the happy or sad outcome (I won't say which is which). As for the film itself, 1408 is a surprisingly good film. However, it's an extreme disservice to equally credit Samuel L. Motherfuckin' Jackson and John Cusack. This is Cusack's film through and through, as Jackson has maybe 10 to 15 minutes of screen time. Cusack shines, and despite the fact that he's alone for most of the film, it's never boring or lacking something interesting going on. Granted, I'm a bit partial to Cusack as High Fidelity is one of my all-time favorites. But that's neither here nor there. Watch 1408. You'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment