Sunday, May 3, 2009

War of the Worlds (2005)

War of the Worlds (2005)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Screenplay by: Josh Friedman and David Koepp

Genre: Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 116 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned DVD

They're already here.

[IMDb]




Comments: I love the quote from Joel Siegel on the front of the War of the Worlds DVD cover, which states that Spielberg is "at his best." Really? Because, you know, when I think of Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan, I think of Tom Cruise, his shitty ass son, and Dakota Fanning. Anyway, the action is well done, and delivers the kind of popcorn entertainment you would expect from a film where the world gets fucked up by some aliens. The new subplot, however, with Cruise (right around the time he started jumping on couches), his son who hates him, and his daughter who is 10 but is smarter than everyone else and can cry on cue is cringe-inducing. I was entertained by the film the first time I saw it. However, watching it again made me want to punch Tom Cruise in the face. I don't mind him as an actor, but the script in War of the Worlds was well below average. However, a lot of shit did get blown up. So that's a plus in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment