Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Limey (1999)

The Limey (1999)

Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Screenplay by: Lem Dobbs

Genre: Crime | Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 89 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Vengeance knows no boundaries.

[IMDb]




Comments: The plot behind The Limey is one that is always interesting to me: revenge. The film follows Wilson (Terence Stamp) as he is released from prison only to learn that his daughter, who was in a relationship with record producer/drug trafficker Terry Valentine (Peter Fonda), has died rather mysteriously. While the story was interesting, albeit simple, Steven Soderbergh's direction is overly "artsy," which at times takes away from the film. The acting is weak in certain points as well, as both Stamp and Fonda's delivery is questionable when delivering fairly straightforward lines (maybe that was Soderbergh's intent). The film has been widely praised, and I honestly don't understand why it was so well-received; I am a fan of Soderbergh's but I thought The Limey was just slightly above average. Well, I guess I can't always be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment