Friday, May 15, 2009

S. Darko (2009)

S. Darko (2009)

Directed by: Chris Fisher
Screenplay by: Nathan Atkins

Genre: Crime | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 103 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

It's time to travel forward.

[IMDb]




Comments: I consider Donnie Darko to be one of my favorite films. It's been one of my most-watched movies over the past few years, and it's one of those experiences where I'll never forget the first time I watched it (the funk it left me in can only be compared with my first viewings of The Deer Hunter and Requiem for a Dream). When I learned they were making a sequel, I shrugged it off. After watching the trailer, however, my interest was piqued, even though it had a 4.1 on the IMDb. The biggest problem (besides the incoherent plot) is that the makers of the film tried to jam every little thing from the the first film into this one. From the movie theater, to the creepy religious guy, to Roberta Sparrow, to the montage scenes with the '80s music, to, well, everything fucking else. There's not one original idea in this film. Also, the acting in S. Darko is extremely brutal. It appears as though Chris Fisher's only direction was took look down and to the right while saying your lines without any emotion. I will admit that I enjoyed parts of S. Darko, but considering the film contains the exact same plot as the Donnie Darko (just with some random shit thrown in that makes you wonder just what the fuck is going on), there's really not much to say about it. Except that keeping your cigarettes rolled up in your t-shirt sleeve is awesome. And Donnie's little sister is a hottie now (she is portrayed by the same actress). This just make makes me wish that the plot of the film was getting Sparkle Motion back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment