Friday, May 1, 2009

The Descent (2005)

The Descent (2005)

Directed by: Neil Marshall
Screenplay by: Neil Marshall

Genre: Adventure | Drama | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 99 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned DVD

Face your deepest fear.

[IMDb]




Comments: I've had the urge to watch The Descent ever since talking about the film in my review of Martyrs. It's been awhile since I've seen the film, and I was hoping I would still enjoy it as much as when I first saw the movie. And I do. The Descent is an excellent piece of horror filmmaking, and a film that sticks with you after the credits finish. For the third straight film I've watched in a row, the second half of the film is utterly amazing. In The Descent, the first half is more of an adventure flick, which features lush and gorgeous cinematography. The creatures appear close to an hour into the film, but from then on the action is intense and fast. Sarah's transformation from the "scared widow" into the ferocious attacker she became is both believable and awesome. She looked so fucking intense when the camera would focus on her eyes as she was covered in blood. The score is also wonderful, and really adds to the film as a whole. I really can't write enough good things about this film. Of course, there is a sequel planned, and I hope it can be at least half as good as the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment