Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Innkeepers (2011)

The Innkeepers (2011)

Directed by: Ti West
Screenplay by: Ti West

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 101 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Some guests never check out.

[IMDb]




Comments: I'm a fan of how Ti West makes horror films. I really dug The House of the Devil, and so I eagerly pre-ordered his latest film, The Innkeepers (I'm discounting Cabin Fever 2, a film West himself tried to disown). West's slow burn style is something he does pretty well, as the characters are often drawn well enough to hold the viewer's interest. And even though I wasn't the biggest fan of The Innkeepers, the style, direction, and characters kept me intrigued throughout. I did feel there were entirely too many predictable elements, and the lack of a "big" finale worthy of the slow build certainly didn't help (though I appreciate how several elements were woven together if you paid close enough attention). The film's creepiness is a definite plus, and I really enjoyed Sara Paxton's character (she essentially makes the film). I honestly believe a film like The Innkeepers would be better on a repeat viewing, so I may have to double feature this with The House of the Devil down the line. For you first-timers out there, it's still worth a look. As for me, I'm anxiously awaiting West's next film. He makes horror interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment