Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dream Home (2010)

Dream Home (2010)

Directed by: Ho-Cheung Pang
Screenplay by: Ho-Cheung Pang, Kwok Cheung Tsang, and Chi-Man
  Wan

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 96 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Viewed: Netflix Watch Instantly

What would you do, if someone blocked your view...

[IMDb]



Comments: Dream Home is a fairly solid film from Hong Kong (Hong Kongian?) that I've been meaning to catch up with for awhile. I heard a few horror-centric bloggers that named the film one of their best of 2011 (when the film was released in the U.S.), so I was eager to check the movie out when I learned Netflix was streaming it.

The movie focuses on a woman who has reached her mental breaking point, murdering a number of unsuspecting tenants in a high-rise housing complex. The film frequently flashes back to the varying points in the woman's life that ultimately led her to this point, and this was my biggest issue with Dream Home. There was way too much backstory for a violent slasher film (and it was a bit nasty at times), and the frequent jaunts down memory lane tended to get annoying toward the end. In terms of kills, Dream Home was a rousing success, and the high point of the ninety minute runtime. The opening scene, despite being bloodless until the very end, was my favorite. The camera lingering on this man struggling for his life was just brutal.

In the end I'm glad I caught the film on Netflix. I had thought about picking up the DVD, but streaming it was certainly the better option. If you have Netflix, I'd give Dream Home a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment