Sunday, January 15, 2012

Contraband (2012)

Contraband (2012)

Directed by: Baltasar Kormákur
Screenplay by: Aaron Guzikowski

Genre: Action | Crime | Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 110 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

What would you hide to protect your family?

[IMDb]




Comments: Luckily, I was feeling better today so I headed out to see Contraband. The film looked like a surefire rental for the most part; the so-so reviews this week only added to that. However, I've seen pretty much everything else I've wanted to see in theaters, so Contraband it was.

And I'll tell you what - despite the messy plot, inconceivable trickery during the heists, and silly plot twists, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It's not going to win much praise with the critic crowd, but I always seem to enjoy those "you hurt my family, now I'm going to destroy everything" type of movies, which Contraband certainly is. The movie is a bit different than the trailers lead on; it's much more of a heist movie than a revenge flick (Marky Mark must make money to save his brother-in-law's ass; this means doing a "run" to sell fake money brought in from Panama). And then there's a heist within the heist that somewhat derails the proceedings (which also has this ridiculous impact on the very end of the film which everyone should've seen coming from 100 miles away). But through all of this, I found an enjoyable film.

Contraband won't be for everyone, but it's a rather entertaining excursion. It's something I'll probably pick up on Blu-ray when the price is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment