Sunday, January 1, 2012

Superman Returns (2006)

Superman Returns (2006)

Directed by: Bryan Singer
Screenplay by: Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris

Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 154 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

[IMDb]






Comments: I friggin' love Superman Returns and have since I first saw it back in theaters in 2006. This is the first time I've watched the film in a few years, and my feelings toward it haven't lessened at all. I know a lot of people didn't like this version, but everything about Superman Returns worked for me.

- I love superhero movies, but I've never been a big Superman guy. Part of it is because I think it's insane that Superman doesn't wear a mask, yet no one can figure out that he's Clark Kent (which didn't bother me at all in Returns for some reason). However, my main issue has always been the 1978 Christopher Reeve film, which in my opinion has one of the most ludicrous and shit-tacular endings of all time. I could go on a mega-rant here, but I'll save that for another time. (Spoiler: But seriously, spinning Earth backwards to go back in time?)

- I particularly enjoyed Brandon Routh. I think he had great mannerisms as both Clark and Superman. It's a shame he's never really been cast in anything major after this, because I think he has the ability to be a big star (he was great in Season Three of Chuck as well). Granted, he can be a bit wooden at times, but Keanu Reeves still gets roles, right?

- I've also just realized that Kate Bosworth and James Marsden were also in the Straw Dogs remake together as well. That has nothing to do with this movie, but whatever.

- The score was top notch as well.

- While I'm eagerly awaiting the 2013 reboot, Man of Steel, I am still a little bitter that I never got to see a sequel with these Superman characters. But at least I have Superman Returns - and even if many didn't like it, I'll keep it for myself as one of the best superhero movies ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment