Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paul (2011)

Paul (2011)

Directed by: Greg Mottola
Screenplay by: Nick Frost and Simon Pegg

Genre: Adventure | Comedy | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 104 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

Who's up for a close encounter?

[IMDb]




Comments: Let's get this out of the way first: Paul is a letdown, quite simply because it doesn't come close to being as good as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (and Superbad if you want to throw director Greg Mottola into the frame). But, for what it is, Paul does a pretty good job. There's a million references to other sci-fi films and TV shows (a little too many, in my opinion) and the movie is slow out of the gates, never picking up until the middle of the film. But there's some humor, some heart, and a healthy dose of Christianity-bashing, so I can't complain too much. Also, I recall ripping Kristen Wiig when Adventureland came out, but I have to admit that I liked her here. She was decent in the "cute and innocent" role and came off much better and less annoying than I remember her being. Paul's fun, but probably a better rental than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment