Saturday, December 1, 2012

Life of Pi (2012)

Life of Pi (2012)

Directed by: Ang Lee
Screenplay by: David Magee

Genre: Adventure | Drama | Fantasy
Running Time: 127 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG
Viewed: Theater (3D)

Believe the unbelievable.

[IMDb]




Comments: I didn't have a great interest in catching Life of Pi, but it was one of those films where curiosity got the better of me. I had read some intriguing reviews (both here and from critics) that talked about how much they enjoyed the film, so I decided I needed to check it out. (It also looked like one of those movies that would benefit from being seen on the big screen, even though I don't particularly care for 3D.)

Life of Pi was both enchanting and frustrating for me. Ang Lee's direction and the overall look of the movie was spot-on. In addition, there were some truly great emotional scenes that reeled me in and had me totally invested in Life of Pi.

Unfortunately, all of those amazing scenes took place on the boat with Pi and the wonderfully named tiger, Richard Parker. Every time Ang Lee transitioned to present day and showed an older Pi speaking with a writer, my interest level lowered quite a bit. Combined with an overlong introduction, and an interesting, but somewhat saddening ending, I found that my love of Life of Pi started and ended with a fantastic story of a human and a tiger on a boat.

I still recommend checking the movie out though. Despite the faith-heavy dialogue (I'm not particularly religious) and a few other quibbles, I certainly wasn't upset with my decision to see Life of Pi this afternoon. The visuals and cinematography make it worth watching on the big screen.

Also, I'm going to start selling tiger-taming kits with some chum, a whistle, and a stick. If Life of Pi teaches us anything, it's that you too can make friends with your very own tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment