Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Red State (2011)

Red State (2011)

Directed by: Kevin Smith
Screenplay by: Kevin Smith

Genre: Action | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 88 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Fear God.

[IMDb]




Comments: I've been so excited to see Kevin Smith's Red State for months now. I'm an unabashed Kevin Smith fan (I skipped Cop Out, but love everything else) and I love horror films. So what's not to love about this film? Plus, you add in the great talents of John Goodman, Stephen Root, and Melissa Leo? Sold.

- First things first: this is NOT a horror film. Not even close. There's a few elements of horror at the beginning, and pretty much every character in the movie is horrible, but that's where the similarities end.

- Michael Parks and John Goodman completely own this film. The other actors were very good too, but these two just swept the floor with everyone else.

- I can't be the only one that was reminded of No Country for Old Men, can I? The whole second half of the film reminded me of the unpredictability and stylistic changes of the Coen Brothers' masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, Red State isn't nearly as good as that film, but it has a very similar feel.

- Another reason that I wanted to watch Red State is because it was the main film discussed on the Filmspotting podcast last week (which I'll be listening to on my drive into my hometown this weekend). I can't recommend Filmspotting enough; it's a great podcast.

- This is the first film I've seen Kyle Gallner (Jennifer's Body, A Nightmare on Elm Street) in where he didn't completely annoy me. Dude showed off some great acting chops in this film.

- Did I mention John Goodman owns?

- I definitely am recommending Red State. Hardcore Kevin Smith fans may not like it; hardcore cinema fans may not like it. But fuck them, because I liked it. Kevin Smith may be a bit douchey, but he makes some great films (the ones that he writes, at least). Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment