Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bridesmaids (2011)

Bridesmaids (2011)

Directed by: Paul Feig
Screenplay by: Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo

Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance
Running Time: 125 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Save the date.

[IMDb]




Comments: Just a few quick thoughts, because I'm not really in the blabbering mood at the moment:

- I definitely see why many called Bridesmaids a "female Hangover." It has a few of the outlandish and gross-out moments that made The Hangover such a funny film, but it's just not as funny. However, there's a ton more depth to Bridesmaids - so much so that I enjoyed the dramatic aspects much more than the comedic elements.

- Chris O'Dowd FTW. It's great to see my boy from The IT Crowd get such a big role in a feature film. He has a smaller performance in Dinner for Schmucks, but he's clearly the male lead in this film. And he's awesome.

- Speaking of awesome, I'm pretty sure Jon Hamm is the best character in the film - even though he's in it for a grand total of about five minutes.

- Kristen Wiig tended to annoy me before, but I really enjoyed her performance in the film (she also co-wrote it). Like I mentioned before, I really enjoyed the more dramatic moments, and Wiig was great in them.

- Also, I realize Wiig doesn't want to do any nude scenes, but as a male viewer all I noticed was that she was wearing a bra in every sex scene she had. I didn't notice it because I wanted to see her topless (which I certainly did); rather, it just looked so awkward during the course of the scene. I know this is somewhat of a sexist argument, but it just annoyed me.

- I'm sure that women will probably enjoy Bridesmaids more than I did, but I still had a fun time. It's certainly a fun watch and a much better follow-up to The Hangover than The Hangover Part II. The dramatic elements are well done and for me, the best part of the film. But there's a little something for everyone, including people who like to see fat chicks taking shits in sinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment