Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Town (2010)

The Town (2010)

Directed by: Ben Affleck
Screenplay by: Peter Craig, Ben Affleck, and Aaron Stockard

Genre: Crime | Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 125 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Welcome to the bank robbery capital of America.

[IMDb]




Comments: Original review: Ben Affleck has been the butt of many jokes over the years, mainly due to the fact that he has made some poor career choices (and that Matt Damon was the actual talented one of the two). I've never had a problem with the guy, mostly because I enjoyed him in the several Kevin Smith films he did. But Affleck set out to change the public perception a few years ago when he directed the excellent Gone Baby Gone, a film I really enjoyed. The Town is his second directorial effort, and as soon as I saw the trailer for The Town, I knew I'd be seeing it in theaters (Warner obviously didn't trust Affleck's reputation either, as they failed to mention his name when stating the film was "from the director of Gone Baby Gone"). The Town certainly didn't disappoint. While the film isn't perfect (the very end of the film is certainly clichéd), it is right up my alley in terms of the plot and entertainment value, hence the five-star rating. I was hooked for the entire two hours, as was the rest of the packed house (during a moment of silence toward the end of the film you could've heard a pin drop in the theater). At times, I was reminded of Michael Mann's crime classic Heat (which isn't a bad thing), and I would favorably compare the two. The Town is everything I want when I go to the theater, and I really couldn't have asked for more. Kudos, Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment