Friday, March 5, 2010

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Directed by: Tobe Hooper
Screenplay by: Kim Henkel and Tobe Hooper

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 83 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Who will survive and what will be left of them?

[IMDb]




Comments: I can strongly remember the first time I watched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (and yes, for the original, Chain Saw is two words). I was around 14 at the time, and because I was gullible, I thought this was a true story (technically, it's "based" off of the true story of Ed Gein). I was past the age where movies scared me, but the fact that I thought this was a true story bothered the hell out of me, and I was legitimately scared after watching the film. Now, 10 years later, I look back with fondness on this as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre still is one of my favorite horror films. The second act (where Jerry, Kirk, and Pam meet their demise) is still effective to this day and genuinely creepy. The last act is darkly comedic while still retaining the horror-element, and is an awesome end to the film. The most amazing part about Massacre is that Tobe Hooper hasn't made a single good film (other than Poltergeist, but that's generally accepted to be Steven Spielberg's film) since then. Granted, I haven't seen most of them, but I don't think I need to watch them to make that decision. I do have Hooper's Eaten Alive, his follow-up to Massacre, and one day I'll get around to watching that film. But anyway, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is an awesome horror film, and definitely deserves its status at the top of the genre. "Look what your brother did to the door!"

No comments:

Post a Comment