Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Perfect Getaway (2009)

A Perfect Getaway (2009)

Directed by: David Twohy
Screenplay by: David Twohy

Genre: Drama | Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 108 Minutes (Director's Cut)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned DVD

Let the games begin.

[IMDb]




Comments: I've been interested in A Perfect Getaway since it was first released. It seemed like great escapist entertainment, and I was thinking about going to see the film in theaters the one afternoon until I found out it was pulled after two weeks because no one really gave a shit. I wasn't going to pay $20 to get it on DVD, but I found it used for $5.99 yesterday (which is only $2 more than it would have cost to rent it), so I picked 'er up. Sadly, the movie's not all that entertaining, and only in the last act does Getaway pick up. And by "pick up," I mean turn into a completely different film. It becomes a violent, darkly comedic film filled with one-liners. Most of the film was a drawn-out, unfunny, thriller in the jungle, so the change helped the film out. Timothy Olyphant wasn't bad, as he tends to be a bit wooden in his performances. But the real reason I was disappointed in the film is the "twist."

I have no problems with twists in movies. They can make a film shittier than it was, or even better than you expected. I do, however, have a problem with films that are completely marketed around twists, like A Perfect Getaway. "You won't believe the twist," was how the film was generally described in promo spots. But when a film is marketed as such, that's all I look for throughout the film, which can truly lessen the cinematic experience. That's what happened with A Perfect Getaway (SPOILERS AHEAD, so highlight the text to read them). If you pay attention at all, the twist is revealed in the OPENING FUCKING CREDITS. It's perfectly obvious that both Cliff and Cydney's faces aren't shown in the wedding video. I thought this was odd, then when it was revealed that a murderous couple was on the loose, it was so ungodly obvious. And this is why movies that are marketed on twists are annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment