Friday, March 19, 2010

The Collector (2009)

The Collector (2009)

Directed by: Marcus Dunstan
Screenplay by: Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan

Genre: Crime | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 90 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Blockbuster

He always takes one.

[IMDb]




Comments: I was watching Attack of the Show! (I’m sorry, it’s Olivia Munn’s fault) last year when I first saw an advertisement for The Collector. The premise had me hooked immediately; I’m a big sucker for films where characters must find redemption. The plot revolved around a man planning to rob his employer only to find that someone is already in the house. Now, instead of robbing the joint, he must save the family from a homicidal madman.

Once again, because I need to know everything about the movies I watch, I was disappointed to learn that co-writer/director Marcus Dunstan wrote the last three Saw films. While I don’t harbor any grudge toward the franchise, I was afraid that The Collector would stumble into the same pitfalls that have hurt the Saw films. And unfortunately, I couldn’t have been closer to the truth.

After opening with some prior victims of The Collector and credits ripped directly from Seven, The Collector begins with Arkin (Josh Stewart) doing some construction at the home of Michael and Victoria. He meets their daughters, the young Hannah and teenage minx Jill (Madeline Zima of Californication fame), and bonds with Hannah due to the fact he has a child the same age. On the personal side, things aren’t going well for Arkin, as his wife owes money to loan sharks and is planning to run away with his daughter if they can’t pay up. Arkin has been sizing up Michael’s house for a few weeks though, knowing that he’s in the jewelry business. He plans to break into the house that night and steal a big rock to pay off his wife’s debts. Plus, Michael and Victoria are supposed to be leaving town, so the job should be easy.

It’s at this point when The Collector descends into absolute absurdity. After Arkin successfully enters the house, he finds that someone else is there. Michael and Victoria are tied up in the basement and have been tortured. Hannah is missing and Jill is out with a boyfriend (I bet you can guess what fate befalls the boyfriend). The rest of the house is booby-trapped to the extreme for no other reason than to provide the viewer with several graphic death scenes (technically, it’s to prevent the family’s escape). The fact that one man by himself rigged the house so thoroughly throughout the course of the day is mind-boggling. Added to the fact that even the most insane person wouldn’t go to these lengths, and you can start to see why The Collector is such a ridiculous film.

The character of The Collector is essentially Jigsaw Jr. It came as no shock to me when I learned afterward that The Collector was originally written to be a prequel to the Saw series, because that’s exactly what the film feels like. While his identity is hidden, his character traits and actions all reek of ideas I’ve seen before.

Throughout the rest of the movie, characters continuously make the most implausible decisions that only serve to keep the film going. Arkin has several opportunities to attack and/or kill The Collector, but passes on the chances. This contrivance reminds me of the Saw series in general: sure, the traps are cool, but if the characters were to make a few different decisions, nothing that the criminal mastermind has planned would work correctly.

On the bright side, those graphic death scenes I previously mentioned are both interesting and visually appealing. Despite the implausibility of the situation, I found myself delighted when characters met their demise. Plus, we get to see Madeline Zima’s lovely giblets, which is always a plus (though she doesn’t punch anybody in the face during sex).

I won’t lie, despite the fact that The Collector fails in every way possible, I did enjoy myself. It’s the fun kind of shitty film that’s great watch with a few buddies and a few beers. Beyond that, I can’t really recommend the film, unless you feel the need to see people slaughtered by the most unconventional means possible. In that case... I think we’ll be good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment