Monday, March 29, 2010

Angels & Demons (2009)

Angels & Demons (2009)

Directed by: Ron Howard
Screenplay by: David Koepp and Akiva Goldsman

Genre: Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 138 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Starz On Demand

The holiest event of our time. Perfect for their return.

[IMDb]




Comments: I won't lie, at times it felt like I was watching National Treasure 3: Dan Brown Style. I did enjoy the film and was entertained, but it's just with Ron Howard and Tom Hanks, I expect a little more. I saw The Da Vinci Code roughly four years ago, but I really don't remember much of anything to compare the two. Both drew some outrage from the Catholic community, but from a non-religious man like myself, the entire sect is treated much better than most people think. To me, this film incorporates religion better than most: it provides a message of goodwill without cramming mythology down the viewer's throat (well, maybe the priest that was strung up and burned alive won't think so much of the goodwill). In the end, Angels & Demons is a fast-paced, engaging (if not particularly thought-provoking) film. It's something that any Hollywood director could have made, so seeing Ron Howard's name attached is a bit of a letdown. But, since it was On Demand, I can't complain since I watched it for free (well, there's that whole cable bill...). If you're interested, it's worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment