Sunday, December 13, 2009

Roswell - Season Two (2000-2001)

Roswell (1999-2002)

Created by: Jason Katims

Season: Two (2000-2001)
Genre: Drama | Mystery | Romance | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Number of Episodes: 21
Episode Running Time: 60 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

There's truth to every rumor.

[IMDb]




Comments: So I finally finished the second season of Roswell. I struggled to get through the season even though it is much better than the first (more on that later). I haven't been watching any movies because I really wanted to finish the season, and it's happened to me in the past where I've just stopped watching shows altogether if I'm not totally immersed. I wanted to get through the season so I could go back to a normal viewing schedule, but as with the end of the first, I've become slightly attached and probably will dive into the third season soon to finish out the series.

Roswell's second season is definitely much more entertaining than the first, but as I mentioned, I struggled to watch more than one episode a day. If I am totally engrossed in a show, I can watch eight or so episodes in a row if I have nothing to do (it's sad but true). But Roswell never fully captured my attention. The episodes are much more serious and compelling, rather than the soap opera-esque storylines from Season One. Sure, there's some lovey-dovey shit, but it's kept in control. There's also some incredibly outlandish storylines along with plots that feel as though they were added last minute. Not many plotlines are thought out in the long term. For example, when the revelation of what happens to Alex occurs in the final episodes (where he actually was and what happened while he was gone), it doesn't match up at all with what happened in prior episodes. When he returns from Sweden, he shows off his photos and has "grown up" much to the delight of Isabel. And then the writers decided Alex never really went to Sweden, and this very manufactured storyline was thrown in for the final episodes of the season. To explain the fact that the writers hadn't thought of this before, the characters "discover" things about Alex that obviously weren't in place when the earlier episodes were written. It's pretty fucking annoying, but still better than Season One.

I think my biggest complaint about Roswell is that there's not that one character that transcends the show. Everyone's fine and dandy, but no one character ever takes over the show and becomes the embodiment of it. There's no Chuck Bass, or Tim Riggins, or a Logan Echolls (+1 if you get that last reference, and a -1 for me for listing Chuck Bass, but it's the truth). The role is set up perfectly for Michael, but he doesn't have the charisma nor does the writing really let him become a tour de force on the show.

While I am glad to finally finish the second season of Roswell so I can feel free to watch films again, I'm probably going to dive into the third season soon. I do want to see the show's ending, but I'm thinking around episode nine I'll wish I hadn't, because I'll feel pressured to watch the second half of the season before moving onto something else. But at least there's no Season Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment