Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Martyrs (2008)

Martyrs (2008)

Directed by: Pascal Laugier
Screenplay by: Pascal Laugier

Genre: Drama | Horror
Running Time: 97 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned DVD

They did not finish to be alive...

[IMDb]




Comments: The first thing I must say is that if you've never read about the film or watched the trailer, don't. It makes the film much better not having any clue what is about to happen. I watched Pascal Laugier's introduction after the film, and he states that he tries to do something completely different just when you expect something to happen in Martyrs, which is why he wants you have a "virgin" experience. In fact, if you are truly interested in seeing Martyrs, stop reading now. I'm not going to spoil the film, but I am going to talk about it. And trust me, it's so much better not knowing a damn thing. The first half of Martyrs feels like the ending of a traditional horror film. One wonders what is going to happen for the last half of the movie. I, while enjoying the first half, was left wondering why the film was earning such praise. It was good, but there was nothing mind-blowing about the film. And then the second half began. The viewer is subjected to intense scenes - scenes that will put a pit in your stomach. The final 15 minutes will take that pit to a whole new level and leave you in awe of what you just watched. Pascal Laugier scripted the film so differently that Martyrs feels like two films in one, and the events play out both unpredictably and unexpectedly. Martyrs is one of the finest horror films I've seen in a long time, probably since I watched Inside. I have to go all the way back to The Descent to find a horror film I enjoyed as much. Highly recommended (if you can stomach it).

No comments:

Post a Comment